Homemade Dairy Free Spaghettios

 

spaghettios with meatballs in a bowl on a placemat

One of my favorite treats as a child was a freshly opened can of Spaghettios. Didn’t matter if it was plain or had tiny meatballs, either way, it was great. After I moved into my dorm room freshman year, I went to the grocery store to buy some snacks. I came across the cans of Spaghettios on the soup aisle. My heart leaped for joy. I hadn't had Spaghettios in years. I thought to myself, I’m an adult. I can buy whatever snack I want. Into the cart, they went. A couple of days later, I opened the can and poured it into a plastic dish, and heated it up in the shared dorm lounge microwave. After putting a big spoonful in my mouth, much to my disappointment, I realized they were not as good as I remembered. The noodles were mushy, and the sauce had a weird aftertaste.   

Fast forward several years later, I was watching a history show about American foods and Spaghettios was the subject. Spaghettios were invented in 1965 by Donald Goerke, marketing manager of the Franco-American brand, division of the Campbell Soup Company. Donald was tasked with creating a canned pasta that would appeal to children. After trying different shapes, he settled on the ring shape since it would be less messy and easy to eat a spoon.

The show made me nostalgic for my once-favorite treat. I started to ponder if it would be possible to create Spaghettios that tasted good and were less processed. Challenge accepted. The first order of business was to find ring-shaped pasta. Anellini pasta, which is Italian for “little rings”, are small ring-shaped pasta. It’s most commonly used in soups and salads or in our application, Spaghettios. It may be hard to find at your local grocery store. I found them on Amazon. The next order of business was to figure out the sauce. Traditional Spaghettios are in a thin tangy tomato sauce. The sauce has milk, modified cheese enzymes, high fructose corn syrup, paprika, and other food stabilizers/preservatives. The tomato sauce and paprika are the only things I’m going to use in my recipe. Instead of the cheese enzymes, I’m using nutritional yeast; Instead of corn syrup; I’m using agave syrup; and instead of whole milk, I’m using cashew cream. Cashew cream is a good dairy-free substitute for whole milk. It adds a nice creaminess to the sauce. Cashews have a neutral flavor so they don't overpower the dish. You can find dairy-free cream substitutes at health food stores, but they can be hit or miss. Sometimes they are too sweet or they have an overwhelming almond or coconut taste. Cashew cream is easy to make at home. Here is a recipe link if you would like to try it. This recipe is vegan and dairy-free. 

Ingredients:

2 cups of dry anellini pasta

2 cans (8oz each)of tomato sauce

1 Tbsp tomato paste

1 Tbsp olive oil

¼ cup cashew cream

1 Tbsp agave syrup

1 tsp apple cider vinegar

1 tsp smoked paprika

1 tsp onion powder

1 tsp garlic salt

1 tsp kosher salt

1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast

 

Directions:

Cook the pasta in boiling water. Anellini takes a little longer than regular spaghetti. I recommend cooking it for the max time, of 15 minutes. 

Dry anallini pasta in a bag

Anellini pasta in colander

While the pasta is cooking, start preparing the sauce. In a medium saucepan, heat up the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the tomato paste. Stir until the tomato paste becomes fragrant. This caramelizes the tomato paste. When tomato paste is caramelized, it adds a nice umami flavor to the dish. 

Once the tomato paste has caramelized, add the rest of the ingredients. I like to mix all the seasoning together in a small bowl so it’s easy to dump into the saucepan. Stir for a few minutes until all the ingredients are incorporated. Turn down the heat to low, cover, and let the sauce lightly simmer. 

Tomato sauce with spices in saucepan

spaghettios sauce in saucepan

After the pasta is finished cooking, save about a cup of the pasta water to add to the sauce. Drain the pasta and add it along with the pasta water to your saucepan. Stir and continue cooking on low for 2-3 minutes. 

Anellini pasta mixed with sauce

You can serve the SpaghettiO as is or add in some meatballs or hotdogs.  


spaghettios in a bowl

Leave me a comment and let me know how your Spaghettios turned out.  


Comments